How to Stop Heartburn Fast
In this article you will learn two things: how to stop heartburn fast and the steps you can take to help naturally stop heartburn from occurring in the future.
How to Stop Heartburn Fast
Tired of losing sleep over heartburn? Then try out some of our heartburn remedies for stopping heartburn fast:
- Take a spoonful of vinegar and chew a piece of mild, non-mint or cinnamon gum (see our Heartburn Remedies page for scientific studies and mechanisms for why vinegar and come work so well for stopping heartburn fast),
- Eat a handful of raw, unsalted almonds. Many people have reported anecdotally that this food alleviates heartburn. Avoid eating too many as eating too much fat can actually cause heartburn.
- Loosen your belt or change into something more comfortable. Tight pants are a significant contributor to heartburn as they literally pressure the stomach, which helps cause heartburn.
- Take a walk. Walking not only gets you standing up (heartburn symptoms are usually at their lowest when standing) but the motion created by body movement helps the stomach digest food.
- Try an antacid. Over the counter antacids containing calcium carbonate can be surprisingly effective. I personally find that stopping heartburn naturally with the methods above is preferable though, as calcium carbonate sometimes leads to stomach discomfort (commonly called “sour stomach”).
Stopping Heartburn Naturally in the Future
While stopping heartburn fast with the strategies above works great, the easiest way to stop heartburn is to not let it happen in the first place. Below, you will find a few strategies for how to stop heartburn from happening in the first place:
- Avoid problem foods. Everyone has certain foods that cause heartburn. Take note of what foods bother you as an individual and be sure to avoid those in the future.
- Lose weight (if you are overweight). If you are overweight, the excess fat that is stored around your organs can actually compress your stomach and cause heartburn. The particular type of fat that causes heartburn is known as visceral fat and is linked to a host of other heart problems like heart disease and high triglycerides.
- Eat low-fat meals at night and consume your fats earlier in the day. Heartburn always peaks at night because people tend to eat more at night and laying down tends to provoke heartburn.
Since eating a no-fat diet is unhealthy (some fats are needed to maintain body function), try to eat most of your necessary daily fat early in the day when you are moving around and save a low-fat meal for dinner. This technique will help you stop heartburn naturally without forcing much of a dietary change
- Eat small, frequent meals. Eating large meals can cause heartburn the same way wearing tight clothing and being overweight can: by placing pressure on the stomach. You can stop many cases of heartburn from happening in the first place simply by not overeating.
How to Stop Heartburn Fast Conclusion
Try out our heartburn remedies to stop heartburn fast and then follow those up with our natural methods for reducing heartburn and you will find your run-ins with heartburn will significantly decrease.